Wise Old Moon
Hometown: Hartford, CT
Wise Old Moon is an alt Americana and roots/rock band hailing from Hartford, CT that ties traditional folk influences together with a unique brand of high energy, twang infused indie rock, creating an eclectic sound that touches on many eras and genres.
Formed in 2013 by songwriter Connor Zane Millican, many of Wise Old Moon’s songs relate toMillican’s personal experiences travelling the American West after leaving home at a young age. Upon returning to his hometown of Hartford, CT, in between tending bar by night and painting houses by day, Millican recorded ‘The Patterns’, Wise Old Moon’s 2014 debut which was met with local and regional acclaim by critics like Mike Hamad of The Hartford Courant; “You can almost smell the latenight paint fumes and hear the clinking of glasses on "The Patterns”, where acoustic guitars, barroom pianos and fiddles weave lines around Millican's laconic delivery.”
Since their 2014 debut, Wise Old Moon has been touring heavily, bringing their distinct brand of twang rock to listening rooms and clubs around the Northeast. On the band’s 2015 sophomore release ‘Don’t Take Off’, Millican recruited electric guitar and lap steel player Dan Liparini and began exploring a more electrified, high energy sound which Wise Old Moon’s recent live shows have become known for. Together Liparini and Millican lead a live band that has shared the stage with international touring acts including The Dustbowl Revival, Charlie Parr, Parsonsfield, Woody Pines, and Jonathan Edwards.
Wise Old Moon has been nominated for 5 CT Music Awards including the categories of Best Traditional/Folk and Best Americana, and is currently nominated for Roots Act of the Year by the New England Music Awards.
"Wise Old Moon is a band with a penchant for a great groove and catchy songwriting painted over a rootsy, warm tapestry of sound." No Depression
Green Roster Band
Joined: April 2016
Wise Old Moon has already been upholding environmental practices as a band, including:
- Reducing single-use plastics by carrying their own reusable water bottles, and taking plastic bottles and plastic wrapped snacks off of their hospitality rider.
- Conserving power by unplugging equipment and turning off lights in their practice space
- Minimizing paper use by reusing set lists, and communicating online
- Printing their own merchandise, using USA made 100% cotton products and locally sourced goods when possible
- Using water-based, organic inks when printing merch.
Annual Green Goals
Here are the goals that Wise Old Moon has set for greening their upcoming year:
- Visiting more open spaces, national and state parks
- Write more music inspired by nature
- Get other band members involved in being environmentally conscious
- Give back to the environment by being more selfless and promoting environmentally friendly practices and travel tips